“Effectiveness of wellness strategies differ based on the company culture.”
By Chris Teo , CEO , Mednefits
Keeping employees healthy could go a long way in boosting the workplace morale and performance. A culture of wellness has a big role to play in employee retention. In fact, the 2017 Cigna 360° Well-being Survey found that 59% of employees say that a workplace wellness culture would impact their decision in joining a new employer.
Investing in employee wellness makes for strong business sense. Healthy employees take fewer sick days off and are also more engaged with their work. In fact, as per Mercer studies, sick leave could cost Singapore a whooping S$3.3 billion of productivity loss by 2030, as employers have to bear the wage cost of both the sick employee and the temporary stand-in as well.
Missing employees also affect workplace morale and productivity. No one likes to be bombarded with additional work, especially at a short notice (which is likely the case for sickness absenteeism). For small businesses with limited manpower, such an impromptu change of plans could throw things into disarray. Establishing a culture of wellness is vital for all sizes of business.
Here are some essential steps to consider for creating a culture of wellness.
1. First, understand the company culture and employee needs. Effectiveness of wellness strategies differ based on the company culture. Also, conducting prior employee surveys with employees is a good way to find out more about their needs (such as “are they more keen on physical activities or a healthy eating campaign”) and adopt appropriate strategies.
2. Set well-defined wellness goals. After formulating the right-fit wellness strategy, employees prefer, it is important to set SMART goals to motivate and engage them, and also measure the success of such initiatives. Sometimes, pitting employees in challenges against one another may also stimulate them to achieve more.
3. Creating a favourable working environment. It is important to ensure that employees feel comfortable in their workstations, both physically and mentally. It is worth investing in ergonomic equipment, give employees regular stretch breaks, and correct their postures. If fancy office chairs are out of budget, standing desk may also do the trick.
4. Offer incentives that encourage good health. It does not suffice to encourage employees to adopt a healthy lifestyle without the right incentives to “nudge” them. Employees are not going to sign up for yoga classes or change their diet just because the employers tell them to. They are also more likely to follow suit when their employer is seriously involved in such programs.
5. Don’t let it be an one-off affair. A wellness culture will never take off if it is not sustainable. The initial hype from the launch of the wellness programme should not be allowed to die down over time.
Old habits die hard, and results may not be visible immediately. Also, there is a need to constantly evaluate and make improvements to the wellness strategy to ensure its long-term success.
Finally, employers need to embrace Digital Workplace Benefits Management. The traditional one-size-fits-all way of handling employee benefits is mundane, slow and tedious. Furthermore, employees want to have a benefits plan that’s simple and flexible to choose as per their needs. This not only strengthens employee engagement, but maximises the gains from every dollar of investment. Providing employees with new options at certain milestones can also be a good way of retaining your top talent.
Chris has spent the last 10 years in the Insurance industry. Prior to starting Mednefits, Chris spent 4 years at AXA in business development and managing their direct portfolio. Chris is passionate about technology and design. He hopes to leverage on technology to reduce inefficiencies in the healthcare sector to deliver a better healthcare experience for companies and individuals - the kind we want for ourselves, and our loved ones.
Do you really know whom you hire?Kannan Chettiar
Managing Director, Avvanz
20 Feb 2020 at 10:00 AM
Re-defining Recruitment with Instahiring!Sanjoe Tom Jose
11 Dec 2019 at 03:00 PM
Employee Empowerment: A Business-Critical RequirementAndy Davies
Vice President of APAC, People First
20 Nov 2019 at 10:00 AM
HR Onboarding: Drive Organizational Success Going Into 2020Manuj Gupta
CEO , Orane Consulting (MyJoining)
07 Nov 2019 at 10:00 AM
Choosing the Right Champions: How ONA conquers the Change Adoption TrapFrancisco Marin Mayer
Co-founder & CEO, Cognitive Talent Solutions
15 Oct 2019 at 10:00 AM
People FirstAndrew Britton
03 Oct 2019 at 10:00 AM
HRMS for SMEs: It's a need, not a want!Sriram Iyer
Founder & CEO, hrtech.sg
26 Sep 2019 at 05:00 AM
How Mobile Apps are Transforming Human ResourcesKC Kwa
28 Aug 2019 at 07:00 AM
Simplifying Employee Bonus ProgramsNaveen Veda
16 Aug 2019 at 11:00 AM
Will machines replace your job in the future?Djoann Fal
Co-Founder & CEO, GetLinks
19 Jul 2019 at 05:00 AM
Establishing Agility in HRNigel Lim
Co-Founder & CEO, Payboy
08 Jul 2019 at 09:00 AM
6 months and the role is still open. Now what?Tulika Tripathi
28 Jun 2019 at 10:00 AM
Strategically Scaling HR with People AnalyticsDaniel West
Founder & CEO, Panalyt
19 Jun 2019 at 06:00 AM
How to hire the right people, the right way and fast?Riku Malkki
05 Jun 2019 at 10:30 AM
The interview is dead, long live the interviewOmer Molad
Co-Founder & CEO, Vervoe
22 May 2019 at 07:30 AM
It’s About Time Recruitment Got AutomatedEmmanuel Crouy
Co-Founder & CEO, GrabJobs
15 May 2019 at 05:00 AM
Recruitment Redefined: A Game-Changing Way to Attract Top TalentPaul Keijzer
Co-founder & CEO, The Talent Games
07 May 2019 at 09:00 AM
Is Machine Learning the recruitment Gamechanger we’ve been waiting for?Shana Lynde
Co-founder & CMO, Janeous
29 Apr 2019 at 01:00 PM
Performance Management – Desperately calling for Open Minds!!!Souvik Majumdar
Founder & CCS, GroSum
22 Apr 2019 at 12:00 PM
Unleash the Power of TeamsRudi Ramin
Co-Founder and CEO, Grow
15 Apr 2019 at 05:00 AM
Snackable self-paced learning for the modern (deskless) workerJames Chia
Co-Founder & CEO, ArcLab
09 Apr 2019 at 10:00 AM
Onboarding should be a Pleasure, not a Pain.Vijay Veera
Co-Founder & CEO, Digidesk
01 Apr 2019 at 10:00 AM
The Science of HiringKek Sei Wee
25 Mar 2019 at 11:00 AM
Digitally Engage Your Mobile Workforce for Better Business ReturnsAndy G. Schmidt
Founder & CEO, Beekeeper Communication
15 Mar 2019 at 03:45 PM
Dining Out On HR TechnologyRichard Hanson
18 Feb 2019 at 10:45 AM
Performance Appraisal is NOT Performance Management. Make it continuous, make it holistic.Shankar Krishnamoorthy
Co-Founder & CEO, Synergita
11 Feb 2019 at 12:45 PM
The Tech Of Tomorrow is already here: Artificial Intelligence in RecruitmentTeam Wantedly
29 Jan 2019 at 10:15 AM
Ready! Get Set! BOT!Jian Hong Tan
CEO & Co-Founder, Su-Ette
18 Jan 2019 at 04:15 AM
Where’s the Human Touch in Recruiting?Sujo John
Business Head, Monster.com
10 Jan 2019 at 04:30 AM
HRTech Stack recommendations for Start-upsAdrian Tan
02 Jan 2019 at 05:00 AM
Creating a Culture Of WellnessChris Teo
26 Dec 2018 at 03:00 AM
Technology & Culture: Two sides of the same coinDN Prasad
Founder & Executive Coach, Noetic Step
17 Dec 2018 at 03:00 AM
Singapore’s HRTech Start-ups attract more VC funding in Sep 2018!
01 Nov 2018 at 03:00 AM
100 HRTECH Start-ups in singapore and still counting
29 Oct 2018 at 03:00 AM