“Digitalisation is for here to stay. And it is imperative for businesses of all shapes and sizes to use it to their benefit and jump onboard.”
Sriram Iyer, Founder & CEO, hrtech.sg
A lot has been emphasised on the need for all sizes of enterprises to embrace technology to not just sustain but expand too. But the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) are always challenged with limited resources. Often than not, a basic tool is often overlooked by most SMEs due to budgetary constraints, which in fact can provide them an edge in the competitive talent landscape - we are talking about the quintessential Human Resources Management System (HRMS).
WHAT IS A HRMS?
HRMS is a software application or platform that automates, integrates, and manages all routine HR processes of an organisation (such as managing employee and organisational information, Payroll & Benefits Administration, Workforce Scheduling & Shifts Management, Leave Management, Expenses Claims Management, Performance Management, Recruitment, Learning & Development, and so on).
Such platforms, which are now available on the cloud too, enable the HR teams to significantly increase their productivity by making their overall operations effective and efficient. These are now made available to SMEs in a format that is user-friendly, easily administered and usable by someone with no or little tech knowledge. Managing the workforce can now be done truly with the click of a button.
NEED FOR ADOPTION OF A HRM SYSTEM
Highlighted below are some key benefits of using an HRMS:
1. “Plug & Play” (readymade) cloud systems require little configuration and setup, thereby enabling easier adoption of the new system by employees & HR administrators.
2. Reduced costs due to on-cloud deployment, with no upfront infrastructure costs. Not just that, the new cloud-based HRMS for small businesses cost just a few dollars per employee per month for basic versions. Like an a-la-carte menu, you can pick and choose the functionalities required and cost might vary accordingly. This significantly lowers not just the capital expenditure, but also operating expenditure costs (due to lower labour, print & electricity expenses)
3. Recruitment & Onboarding cycles are reduced as data is now easily managed in one location, allowing companies to monitor progress, generate employment offers and seamlessly onboard / integrate newcomers.
4. Enhanced Talent Experience through an effective online performance management system with 360-degree feedback, real-time monitoring of KPI’s and recording of data. These would enable better employee performance and higher employee retention.
5. Improved Employee Self-service option allows users to operate with a single-click to manage their personal and job-related information in one place. Not just that, it helps in effectively managing millennials who like to be hands-on in getting things done without seeking help.
6. Faster employee service delivery by all support functions as they now have common access to information
7. Increased data accuracy means fewer corrections, thereby enabling seamless information flow across departments
8. Adherence to data privacy and compliance aspects as they are designed to address the needs of enterprises which have presence across multiple countries and different legal framework
9. Most importantly, Data Analytics with insightful metrics across multiple parameters are now provided at the click of a button, thereby helping businesses make informed decisions
Today, HRTech marketplace is flooded with multiple local & multi-national HRMS providers. The sheer volume of service providers means selecting the right HRMS can be a daunting experience.
Hence, here are some key points to consider before you make the final decision on the service provider:
1. Perform a comprehensive comparative differential analysis and opt for an HRMS that fits the organisation’s needs, as every service provider have their specific strengths
2. While price may be a key shortlisting criterion, it is also important to consider the ease of deployment, maintenance, compliance and privacy laws. For example, if there are local laws governing cloud deployment or data related aspects, such aspects need to be adhered to a factored mandatorily
3. Based on your organisational maturity in the growth cycle, the HR team’s requirements might vary significantly. While one organisation would require a more advance “Learning & Development” functionality, some others might require a more advance “Workforce Tracking & Deployment” functionality. Hence, it’s important for the HR team to map out the nature of requirements across its various HR functions (such as Recruitment, Employee Onboarding, Performance Management System, Learning & Development, Employee Communication, and Payroll & Benefits Administration) to finalise the appropriate system.
A detailed HRTech Market Map (2019) of #hrtech service providers servicing the Singapore talent marketplace is provided here. This can be a quick reference guide for members to be aware of the various HRMS service provider options available in Singapore. This market map was put together by hrtech.sg (a Singapore-based HRTech advisory and analyst firm) & Adrian Tan (a HRTech subject matter expert).
Digitalisation is for here to stay. And it is imperative for businesses of all shapes and sizes to use it to their benefit and jump onboard. Today, a better employee experience can easily be created by HR teams leveraging technology to seamlessly delight a multi-generational workforce with differential needs.
This blog was originally posted in IHRP Connect, an exclusive community of IHRP certified professionals
Sriram Iyer is the founder & CEO of hrtech.sg, a Singapore- headquartered #hrtech market development and analyst firm. A Human Resources practitioner with over two decades of experience, he is also a Certified Strengths Coach and a passionate #hrtech advocate. In his career, he has also played leadership roles with the Singtel Group Enterprise and Nasdaq-listed Cognizant Technology Solutions. He is also the winner of the coveted Cognizant Chief People Officer's Global Award in 2010. LinkedIn
Choosing the Right ChampionsFrancisco Marin Mayer
Co-founder & CEO, Cognitive Talent Solutions
15 Oct 2019 at 10:00 AM
People FirstAndrew Britton
3 Oct 2019 at 10:00 AM
HRMS for SMEs: It's a need, not a want!Sriram Iyer
Founder & CEO, hrtech.sg
26 Sep 2019 at 5:00 AM
How Mobile Apps are Transforming Human ResourcesKC Kwa
28 Aug 2019 at 7:00 AM
Simplifying Employee Bonus ProgramsNaveen Veda
Co-founder, Laserbeam Software
16 Aug 2019 at 11:00 AM
Will machines replace your job in the future?Djoann Fal
Co-Founder & CEO, Getlinks
19 Jul 2019 at 05:00 AM
Establishing Agility in HRNigel Lim
Co-Founder & CEO
8 Jul 2019 at 09:00 AM
6 months and the role is still open. Now what?Tulika Tripathi
28 Jun 2019 at 10:00 AM
Strategically Scaling HR with People AnalyticsDaniel West
Founder & CEO, Panalyt
19 Jun 2019 at 06:00 AM
How to hire the right people, the right way and fast?Riku Malkki
5 Jun 2019 at 10:30 AM
The interview is dead, long live the interviewOmer Molad
Co-Founder & CEO, Vervoe
22 May 2019 at 7:30 AM
It’s About Time Recruitment Got AutomatedEmmanuel Crouy
Co-Founder & CEO, GrabJobs
15 May 2019 at 5:00 AM
Recruitment Redefined: A Game-Changing Way to Attract Top TalentPaul Keijzer
Co-founder & CEO, The Talent Games
7 May 2019 at 9:00 AM
Is Machine Learning the recruitment Gamechanger we’ve been waiting for?Shana Lynde
Co-founder & CMO, Janeous
29 Apr 2019 at 1:00 PM
Performance Management – Desperately calling for Open Minds!!!Souvik Majumdar
Founder & Chief Customer Success, GroSum
22 Apr 2019 at 12:00 PM
Unleash the Power of TeamsRudi Ramin
Co-Founder & CEO, Grow
15 Apr 2019 at 5:00 AM
Snackable self-paced learning for the modern (deskless) workerJames Chia
Co-Founder & CEO, ArcLab
9 Apr 2019 at 10:00 AM
Onboarding should be a Pleasure, not a Pain.Vijay Veera
Co-Founder & CEO, Digidesk
1 Apr 2019 at 10:00 AM
The Science of HiringKek Sei Wee
25 Mar 2019 at 11:00 AM
Digitally Engage Your Mobile Workforce for Better Business ReturnsAndy G. Schmidt
Founder & CEO, Beekeeper Comms
15 Mar 2019 at 03:45 PM
Dining Out On HR TechnologyRichard Hanson
18 Feb 2019 at 10:45 AM
Performance Appraisal is NOT Performance ManagementShankar Krishnamoorthy
Co-Founder & CEO, Synergita
11 Feb 2019 at 12:45 PM
Artificial Intelligence In RecruitmentTeam Wantedly
29 Jan 2019 at 10:15 AM
Ready! Get Set! BOT!Jian Hong Tan
Co-Founder & CEO, Su-Ette
18 Jan 2019 at 04:15 AM
Where’s the Human Touch in Recruiting?Sujo John
Business Head, Monster.com
10 Jan 2019 at 04:30 AM
HRTech Stack recommendations for Start-upsAdrian Tan
2 Jan 2019 at 05:00 AM
Creating A Culture Of WellnessChris Teo
26 Dec 2018 at 03:00 AM
Technology & Culture: Two sides of the same coinDN Prasad
Founder & Executive Coach, Noetic Step
17 Dec 2018 at 03:00 AM
Singapore’s HRTech Start-ups attract more VC funding in Sep 2018!
1 Nov 2018 at 03:00 AM
100 HRTECH Start-ups in singapore and still counting
29 Oct 2018 at 03:00 AM